Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #20

Google Docs

I created a newsletter to send out to my parents. Many times I have had parents call or email to ask for information on something. Most of the time what they want to know was in my weekly newsletter. Sometimes my students have a hard time getting papers home to their parents. For example, a student places their newsletter in their take home folder, rides the bus to daycare, goes to daycare, gets in mom's car then finally makes it home. Their folder has been in 5 different places in one day. Papers fall out without the child even realizing it. This is a much easier, more accessible way for information to be sent to the parents. I will continue to send a newsletter home because I know not all parents have access to the internet. Our team works on the newsletter together so we could modify to fit each classrooms use.

One idea I had was having a spreadsheet for each student. The spreadsheet would include grades and missing assignment. Parents sometime have no clue heir student is not doing well in a subject because they are not looking at graded papers or rubrics in the take home folder. I am not sure exactly how well this would work. i do know this would take a lot of time on my part but I think it would be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Love your idea for the newsletter via google docs in order to help the students get info to parents.

    ReplyDelete