Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thing #14

Wikis

I am having a hard time of thinking how to use a Wiki in a first grade classroom. Most of the wikis i visited were for students 6th-12th grade. I did find a wiki for primary grade students. The site was Primary Math. They used their wiki to communicate about Math all over the world. I like how this was a wiki for anyone. After reading this sight I thought it might be fun for my students to communicate with students in another country. We could all write a story together, creating and modifying parts of the story on the wiki. This would help students to understand how children around the world are learning the same things. I wish the Primary Math website would have had more interaction with the teachers but I do like the concept.

I am in love with Mr. Lindsey's wiki page. This is a brilliant idea. I love how he has everything students need to know about his class. He has links to homework, new events, brainteasers and his own blog. My favorite part is that his students have blogs. They are accessible from his wiki. The students are posting assignments on their blog and other students can check out the completed work. This is so powerful for students to use. One problem I do see with a website like in my school is the accessibility of computers to my students. Not all of the students have computers at home so most work would have to be done on school time.

I also enjoyed the Salute To Suess. I watched the video by Miss Karen's Class. They had pictures of activities the did to celebrate Dr. Suess. From just watching the slideshow I already have ideas what activities to do with my students next year. Ms. Wilson's class read How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Each student has a quote on the site about the book. This is a way for the students to take ownership in their thinking. This is something I hope to use in my class next year.

Most of the things I have done in 23 Things are so valuable for the classroom but not many people know about them. I hope to show others teachers on my campus some of the things I have learned to do.

2 comments:

  1. I think sharing what you have learned with colleagues on your campus is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog. I have not made it to the point in this class where you are but I look forward to getting there. I just love the picture of the children on the blog. I have a feeling you will be using this in the classroom. I plan to use some of it with my first grade class.

    ReplyDelete