Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thing #2

Web 2.0
Things are constantly changing in the world and in education. I started elementary school in 1991. I remember going to the computer lab to put in a floppy disk to play Reading Rabbit, which at the time was high tech. If I put in Reading Rabbit for my first grade students now, I can only imagine how uninterested the students would be. Technology has come such a long way over the past 15 years. I am constantly learning about new technology that is available for me to learn. I can go to Google and search for anything I want to learn about. Other teachers have posted blogs, which is insightful and gives me ideas to implement in my own class.

We must meet the needs of our digital learners. Research has proven students will be able to retain information while doing something they enjoy. My students are delighted every time we use technology in the classroom. Why would I not implement more technology if that is how my students learn best? This next year I hope to incorporate more technology than the previous year. I want to create things with my students what will help them to take ownership in their learning, like Photo Story. I want my students to be able to use Podcast to learn about things they are interested in. I also want to create a class blog to get parents more involved in students learning. I will give my students every opportunity to use technology to further their learning.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Finished My First Year...and you were amazing this year! I can't wait to follow your blog to with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you but y'all weren't even that impressed with Reader Rabbit. Kid Pix was more what you guys enjoyed! It makes me laugh because we went to the lab and took most of the time just 'booting' the computers. I am amazed at not only how far technology has come but how fast kids pick it up. It shows that they really are very capable of learning....if it's applicable and/or worth their time. It will be fun to see how you incorporate the technology with your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wanting to start a class blog for my students' parents as well. I think it is a great way to bridge the gap between school and home. I think it could really strengthen parental involvement!

    My blog is at: http://westsword.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you did a great job this year with technology in your classroom. Your students were able to experience the promethean board and enjoyed learning in this way. You also encouraged other first grade teachers to learn new technology and want to incorporate it into their classrooms. Great job!

    My blog is at: http://outofmyleagueforsure.blogstpot.com

    ReplyDelete